Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Where is the love??

One thing I've always been proud of with Jax is that he is such a loving boy! On a daily basis he would randomly call out my name and when I'd answer he'd say, "I love you, Mom" and my heart would melt! He would come over and sit with me saying things like, "Mommy, I want you to love on me", and although it was not always convenient at the time it was always special. Well, no one told me that once my sweet little boy turned 3 1/2 the devil would come out in him!

Now, I'm not saying that I don't get an occasional remark mentioned above, but I am saying that they are more scarce and not always without a motive :) Lately, the attitude that Jax has taken on sounds more like a teenager than a toddler. He is constantly saying things like, "Let me tell you something!" and "That's it! I'm not doing this anymore!". While I understand that he hears most of these things from when I'm yelling at him, what I don't understand is what does he have to be so irritated about??? We are talking about a child that has 800 sets of grandparents that would do anything he asked and 2 parents that, while strict a lot of the time, are more than willing to work with him on his requests! I can't imagine that his little view of the world is so terrible that he feels the need to be annoyed with it on a daily basis!!! In addition, he has started acting like he's going to hit me. Now, Jax is a smart boy and he knows that if he hits me he might just get hit back (for all of you who don't believe in spanking, I'm sorry...I do!) so he doesn't go as far as making contact, but he still gives me an unsettling look and an angry noise as he swats at the air in front of my face. Time out and loss of privileges seem to be working for small periods of time, but if this continues I'm not sure what else to do!

I know 3 seems to be the hardest age so far, so I guess I'll have to suck it up for another 5 months. Too bad for me when Jax hits 4, Cash will hit terrible 2's!! I'll let you know what mental hospital to visit me at once this occurs :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, 3 was so bad for us too, Britt! Joshua actually slapped me in the face when he was 3 1/2 (we don't spank over here, and it was ALL I could do not to tear his face off!). 4 has been much better for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Caleb was too smart to try to hit us, because we did spank...However, this is normal behavior for Jax's age group. He is "testing the boundaries." It's a rough time, I know!

    I would love to tell you that it gets easier as they grow up, but Caleb is 10yrs old. If I even dare to bring up that he has to go to bed early, you'd think I was in front of Judge Mathis. The key is to remain firm and calm. He'll eventually figure things out.

    Hang in there...they are only this small for a short time! You'll survive this. :)

    ReplyDelete